Last Tuesday our Indigenous Education Team of Tammy Denomme, Ray John Jr. and Adam Sturgeon organized a very special event at the Catholic Education Centre, one to promote reconciliation between our Board and our local Indigenous Nations, Music of Mother Earth – Gathering of All Nations.
Students from Antler River Elementary School (Chippewas of the Thames First Nation) and Standing Stone Elementary School (Oneida Nation of the Thames) had earlier become pen pals with students from Sir Arthur Carty and St. Francis. At the Gathering of All Nations the pen pals met. Together the students enjoyed a music concert and participated in a variety of events which included:
- an opening concert with music and dance from all nations performed by Catholic Central dance, Regina Mundi dance, and St. Joseph’s vocal students
- a visit to an inflated planetarium in which students enter into a “dome” and view the night sky and hear about Indigenous knowledge of the stars
- a healthy snack rotation with snacks provided by Growing Chefs
- an obstacle course run by a Grade 12 Physed leadership class at RMC
- a visit with baby goats, miniature ponies, dogs, and bunnies from Full Circle Ranch
As you will see in this video, the day truly was a ‘celebration of culture’ a ‘celebration of community’.
Thank you to our Indigenous Education Team, students and staff from Catholic Central, Regina Mundi College and St. Joseph’s for all you did organizing and participating in what we hope will become an annual event!
”This is the power of gathering: it inspires us, delightfully, to be more hopeful, more joyful,
more thoughtful: in a word, more alive.” Alice Waters